Most of the time the reason that people want to be private is to stop mainstream tech companies from gathering their data to use for targeted ads. But I’m kind of cuirous to see what are others motives for wanting to be private online.
Privacy has become a very important issue in modern society, with companies and governments constantly abusing their power, more and more people are waking up to the importance of digital privacy.
In this community everyone is welcome to post links and discuss topics related to privacy.
much thanks to @gary_host_laptop for the logo design :)
Having privacy is like having a constitution, you sleep better at night.
Its more than juat avoiding targeted ads. These companies sell your data to 3rd party brokers. From there your data can be collected and collated in various ways. Recently, there’s the case of the priest who was outted because he was using grindr and some investigative journalists were able to de-anon his information using not only grindr data but data from other sources.
Additionally, the police will buy information from.these data brokers for the same reason and my understanding is those requests are not really under the same rules and laws as monitoring people directly.
deleted by creator
deleted by creator
How is privacy freedom?
deleted by creator
I want to be able to speak freely without getting fired or kicked out of a rental (home). Also, I’d like to help those braver than me hide. If 5,000 of us use privacy tools, yet only 100 of those are of interest to authorities (I am hoping not for sick sh+t), then the rest of us help those persons hide. They get lost in a sea of people, lost in the crowd. So often, throughout history, people who go against what authorities want are the ones who help save humanity (they are freedom-fighters), so I want to help them do so.
Let’s say 10,000 facts are known about each individual in 98% of the population (thanks to surveillance capitalism) and only 20 facts are known about the other 2%.
Maybe in the future the 2% people can choose to sell facts about themselves for $200 each that would be; 9,800 facts * $200= $1,960,000
For me it’s a combination of not having big corporates suck this info up for free as well as just simply we don’t know how this data will be used against us in the future, and I don’t want to give it up until at least I know more about what its worth.
if 98% of the population is known… then the remaining 2% are easy to predict based on similar profiles.
All the usual privacy reasons still apply, but I’ve found that for me, it’s also just an unending appreciation for anonymity.
There was a time on the internet when I felt comfortable talking to complete strangers on topics that I wouldn’t talk about with anyone that actually knows me.
From light-hearted fun, like the people we had crushes on, to the real deep shit, like sexual abuse, anorexia, depression.
Those were the closest connections I ever had. To people on the other side of the planet.
I don’t feel comfortable talking to strangers on the internet anymore. Because I have to assume that people are listening in, which know fully who I am. And could probably use that information against me in some way.
I would like that anonymity back.
On the other hand there are people who claim anonymity is a bad thing because people use it to do bad things (to post racist, sexist, homophobic shit, for example). I agree with you though. I used to post to Usenet somewhat anonymously, could send emails through open servers, etc. and it was way preferable to the current situation of having to be registered to do every little thing. Oddly I never felt the need to be abusive to anyone. Almost as though anonymity didn’t make me a bad person… Nah, that can’t be right, surely.
To me that’s like asking: Why do you close the bathroom door when doing your business? We like and want privacy. It’s just that for most, the concept of privacy online is too abstract, to alien. They cannot see its the same concept, comparable exposure, with worst consequences in real life. We can be manipulated easily with or without awareness of it happening. Information/knowledge is power. What can happen when they know everything about us? I’m not talking about some conspiracy theory, just learn about marketing, implanting memories. In a free country that power over people may be more limited. But look at China, Russia, etc. They found out about government dissidence, you are incarcerated or dead by the week.
A lot of it is about control. You’d want to stay in control of yourself, of what concerns your own life. Lose that and you’ll never get it back again. Better safe than sorry so to speak.
For me, it’s also fun to play around with security software and host my own data.
For me it’s mostly about weaning off reliance on big tech.
All those crimes what I done
My motivation is if you give some one data this means knowledge and knowledge = power. If you than have a Stalin or a Hitler than you know what is happening, so we shouldn’t do the same mistakes like in the past
Stasi or Reich systems look like peasant compared to FVEY today. Why do you not give better examples of surveillance capitalism and corporation dictatorships?
I just find it creepy when companies know everything about me. Also, the more people who follow a private life, the more people who actually need it, like gay people in anti LGBT countries, are allowed to live their lives in private easier.
It’s my vain attempt to screw (surveillance) capitalism on my level